Friday, January 9, 2009

1st Week: Smooth

Wow, congrats, y'all! We finally got through the 1st week of our training. Though, mine didn't last the full 5 working days, since yesterday most of my classmates took a day off and some half-day off, to settle some things at the faculty. We are so good at planning these things! - Ponteng kerje jer mesti pandai! Well, it didn't took half day to settle the registration, as we thought it won't (office ppl memang byk hal!)..we have to come again just to get a confirmation from the office and our beloved Prof!! Well, that is settled for now.

Now, about my training...on the first day, Bates141 received 4 new interns- 2 from MARA that's me and Nadhyrah (yes, people have time to differentiate us)..then the other 2 are Chinese students from UTAR (1 from advertising, the other from PR background). I was hoping, well, me and Nad were expected that, we're both will be in the same department. Since the company just merged like a year+ ago, hence the name Bates141- according to my understanding, Bates is the advertising side, while 141 is the PR, event planning, headcount, and strategizing department. They even have a different entrance but all under one roof and one floor.


A very unexpected turn, they thrown me into the 141 department and Nad is on the other side. Just to keep balance, said the PA of the MD! 1 from MARA+1 from UTAR at both sides. First thing first, before i even got a table, i had to attend a weekly meeting, as unexpected again, they shoved me right into the room, and the GM immediately, asked who i was, though with a smile, i still have a shock. So, i just said i'm their new intern. Then, he welcomes me. Few!
Seriously, the meeting was not like what i thought it would be, y'know like you see in movies and what your lecturers told you, people at advertising are very enthusiastic by pouring their ideas and comments around- very outspoken. But, the meeting was mostly done with the GM took control of most conversation, while the others looked down on the floor or on the table or covering their face with a book.- Macam kena marah with guru besar lar..I pun takut lar, tgk diaorg mcm tu.

I love the fact that I got my own computer and desk. Though, it is the smallest desk in the whole office- cornered desk. It's fine, better than not to have any. I got 2 male supervisors, under 141, they thrown me into 'Headcount' dept which consist of my supervisors - Chinese and Indian - young. So, basically, my job for the past 4 days there are, media monitoring (daily task), data entry (daily), contract drafting, client's website updates and media calculation. Usually, I'm off by 6 - 7pm. Though, in the internship confirmation letter they gave me, my working hours ends at 5:30pm. My first day was my latest because they assigned me with a task quite late.


FYI, there are total of 8 Malays in the whole office now, in my dept, I am the only one. That's why I was nervous, when the 1st task my supervisor assigned me to was to calculate the 'freshness' of their alcohol beverages client. My first thought was, 'Uik, kena minum lar mcm ni...of all the ppl in the office, they have to pick the Malay girl!"..well, i assumed wrong, i only have to calculate. Duh, i am in the headcount dept, afterall!


I got a office tag, a desk, a computer with internet and photoshop, free use of the pantry, and friends (interns jer). I must say it has been a smooth week. Still trying to get a hang of things around there. The old interns will be leaving soon, so gotta buck up and step up to the plate.

During lunch, I always went together with Nad, Huda and Muzaffar (on certain days). So, everyday different places. hehe. Dekat with Mdvalley what!? Me and Nad have been experimenting with the train timings, early, the mid and late. So now, we concluded if we took later trains there would be less people. It's a secret, let's just say, it revolves around us having drinks, desserts and gossips!


So, buckle up, y'alls! Counting down the days to the end! Happy working!! :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment