Friday, March 6, 2009

My Mraz experience...


----------------Pic taken from http://rage.com.my-----------------------------------

As you guys would probably know, I did went to catch Jason Mraz concert last Wednesday on the 4th March in Stadium Negara. Though, I suffered a few hiccups on that very day, it's all good in the end.

The day started pretty busy at work. Bates141 is going to have a few big events for a client for next few weeks in a few locations, I think...so, they need someone to pack all their goodies bags - all 3000 of it!! And, after a couple of days of suffering the 'dry season' at work this week, they couldn't pick the worst day to start packing the damn stuff. I had to tell them the bad news before I even said yes. Surprisingly, 'hedgehog' doesn't seemed to mind that I wanted to leave early on the concert day. He just asked how early is early. He didn't asked why. Thankfully.

So, I asked my sister to fetch me at Taman Desa Petaling (bet u guys don't have a clue where is it!??). FYI, i was packing the damn stuff like a robot - determined to excel for my Mraz excuse. hehe. Unexpectedly, I didn't leave exactly the time i said i would in the first place. My sister got lost in Jalan Kuchai Lama. Finally, after 30 minutes or so, she found the place. I managed to wash my oily face before I dashed off. Even change my stinky clothes in the car - while moving (wish no one snap a photo of me half naked!).



While in Kl, my sister has lost her sense of direction, thanks to the traffic jam. We literally go around in circles trying to avoid the jam. Lastly, end up at the stadium around 7:30-ish. Mind you the concert scheduled at 8pm - so, this is by far the latest I've been to a concert.

But, firstly, i gotta say kudos for the event management company (Marctensia) that run this concert, it was quite smooth. Bravo! Since I arrived late, there was a short queue, then me and my sister saw a section of our 'free seating' place that hasn't been occupied at all. And, it was right next to the stage. We figured that most people are headed to the mosh pit anyway, and others probably thought it's a prohibited area since the management peeps and RELA was there at that side doing some major crowd control. But, me and my sis finally decided to rest our asses at the supposedly 'prohibited' seats. Literally, there was just the 2 of us at that corner, with a misty fan behind us to keep us cool. hehe. I call up Nad, she managed to found me instantly because we were all alone there, so it's easy to spot us.



Then, after a few minutes, the crowd started to follow us, the seats are started to filling up. Jason didn't let us wait that long, since there are no opening acts (first time in the concert I've been to without it!!), the concert began at 8:30-ish PM. Before he went on stage, I managed to catch a glimpse of him back stage. He was there, facing my side of the crowd. He was surrounded by his bandmates. At this time, I was screaming at my sister that is Jason Mraz looking here. Wearing that grey and army outfit. And that faded hat! But, she can't see him. He was there just standing, and no one saw him! shessh!?? He went on stage with his bandmates, Jason brought along his video cam and a coffee mug/thermos, spin around on stage, recording the atmosphere around. After the lights are off, then people started to scream. The first song he performed was the up-beat-morning-sunrise song; "Make it mine".

Way before the concert, me and my sister planned to have electronic messages to Jason Mraz using her iTouch - sort of, like the screensaver on your PC. We typed a few messages: "We love you Jason!!", "Ja envie de toi" (I want you!), and of course, the winner, "Jason, please play "Live High"!!. My sister typed that "Live High" request before he performed it. He was playing other songs, and my sister had her iTouch at her lap, where I'm afraid the guy in front will block the message with his head. I said to my sister, why like that? put it up high!!! She said she's shy. I grabbed that iTouch from her and raise it up front and up high!! A few minutes after that, the song ended, and Jason took a break to grab a drink on stage. While he was drinking, it seemed like he was facing at my direction. His bass player was on my side of the stage also seemed to face my direction. At this time, I was holding the gadget way up high in enthusiasm!! He picked up his guitar back, and started to play the chords to 'Live High'!! Me and my sister was screaming our lungs out.

When Jason called out for an encore, he wore a very 'comel' "I heart KL" t-shirt. And, I saw it way before he went on stage. I don't know how many times I said the word "comel" that night. He was THAT cute! And, I kept agreeing and wooing him, by calling him 'baby'. - "I love you, baby!"...



He mix "Wonderwall" by Oasis in one of his song. And, I'm surprised when the crowd manage to sing along. Well, that song is famous.

I screamed the loudest when he performed "A beautiful Mess". He performed so flawlessly, the gestures are exactly the same when he performed it at the Nobel Prize concert. I was so incredibly touched during the part, "Here we are,oohh-ooh, here we are, we're still here...and what a beautiful mess..this is". Definitely, here we are - at the same place finally.

Between songs, he talks a lot of gibberish, even my sister can't quite catch it. I manage to understand a few, like the time before he performs one of my fave: "If it kills me", he asked the crowd.."How many of you guys are here with your best friends?" - the crowd put up their hands. Jason replied: "How many of you guys are here with your best friend because you love them!?" - the crowd went wild. My sister thought he was going to performed "Lucky"..which when he did, the crowd did Colbie first verse first because Jason is just so cute like that! the local unknown-by-me Chinese singer was late until the second verse.

All the gibberish talk makes me a little lost in translations. There are a couple of songs at the concert which are in the latest album, I have come to love very much after the concert; "Butterfly" and "Dynamo of Volition". Both are Jason's signature fast-pace songs. The kind I can't catch the words until a hundred listens.

But, the highlight of it all, when he said to the crowd:
"Don't let your mind stop you from having fun".
I screamed: "That's so true, baby!!!". Well, I was straight off from work, those words has brought such beautiful meaning and full purpose to me. Then, he taught us a few hand gestures before he began "Dynamo of Volition"...the words to this song makes heart jump in excitement. Before you know it, the whole stadium was giving each others' air high fives.

I think, the highlight of the night to him, was when he performed the acclaimed; "I'm yours". He had this huge grin on his face as the whole stadium sing along with him like we all our in HUGE karaoke session.

He ended the night, before playing the last song, he snap Polaroid photos of his band mates after he introduces them, and throw those pics to the crowd. After the last song, he and his band mates bowed down to the crowd. He bowed down every section of the crowd - even peeked to wave the crowd at the side of the stage. - So comel! Finally before he went off stage, he gives the crowd on the right side a hats off. I was swooning all over for him, by then.

Sometime during the concert, I felt so 'released' that I delivered another message to him stating "You are so worth it"...inspired by "A Beautiful Mess" last verse...
"Ooh, the wait was so worth it..." - So near, yet so far lah!!

FYI, he performed barefoot throughout the concert. He sang for approx 90 minutes. Concert ended at 10pm. He sang about 14 songs. Everyone had a great time - I saw a few peeps still buzzing with his songs after the concert. And, expectantly, most people showed up with his signature fedora hats. All in all, its a anti-stress concert. I would L.O.V.E to do it again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment