Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thanks Colin Powell! (What the heck!?)

I feel the need to write this up because this is the #1 time I EVER had a sleepless night due to a job interview. I'm not a stranger to the job hunting circuit, but this one with another major MNC company is held ridiculously early at 8:30AM and in KL!

AND! It's one of those interview sessions with multiple stages; like a boxing match - first round: group discussion. If u didn't get 'knockout' - second stage: online test! The assessor couldn't describe the interview session even better than - 'American Idol'. A cut throat decision.

The girl next to me in the waiting room actually told me she was incredibly nervous, and I looked incredibly cool. But, I was just wanna get this over with. Everyone dresses in shirts , blazers and baju kurung. I'm the only one with casual tuxedo inspired ruffles top without any collar, and dressed in black and gray.

Prior to D-day, I did multiple research on the company's website- scared if the group discussion revolves around the company's well-being. Apparently, it wasn't but fortunately, it was right up my alley - we were discussing about the unsuccessful 'Tak Nak' anti smoking campaign. Advertising. My 2nd love. I actually slept like 3 hours prior to the D-day - tossing and turning like a girl torn in love, instead I was thinking the worst thing that could happened and how to get there.

While I was tossing and turning on my bed, in the dark room, 2 men comes to mind - Colin Powell and Michael Buble' - I know, what the heck? Colin Powell has 2 of the principles I love to live by, 'Get mad, then get over it', and 'It ain't as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning' (The one that run through my mind!). Michael Buble', his 'I just haven't met u yet' just somehow humming itself in me head! Due to this unnecessary hoopla - I only got like 3 hours of shut-eye! Sucks. And I woke up at 5am!! Went out from house at 6:30am. Shiatsu! Took the train, pass like 17 train stations. Walk up to the office with melted make-up, my hair lost it's volume and tempered manners! Dang!!

#1st round outcome: Out of like 30 potential 'trainees', only about 15 stayed for the 2nd round. Scary. And, I'm one of the lucky few. Teehee! 3 cheers for me!

On the second round was daunting with 3 sections in the online test. Crazy. Maths. Verbal. And, personality test. All within 3 hours! Maths 24 q's under 20mins. Verbal: 24 Q's also under 20mins. Personality test 300 q's with no time limit!

Great! Left the interview feeling relief and told myself that Colin Powell dude was right in the first place.

0 comments:

Post a Comment